Dallas Cowboys defensive end Sam Williams recorded the first sack of his NFL career when he took down Detroit quarterback Jared Goff for a 6-yard loss on a first-and-10 snap from the Lions 48-yard line with 8:34 left in the third quarter on Sunday.
But the rookie from Lee High School in Montgomery wasn’t finished.
On a second-and-3 snap at the Detroit 32, Williams got to Goff again, and this time, he snatched the football out of the quarterback’s hand just as he was about to pass to make his second career sack his first strip-sack.
Williams put Dallas on the Lions 24-yard line with 2:20 left to play. The Cowboys capitalized on the field position with a touchdown to set the final score at 24-6.
“Outstanding,” Dallas coach Mike McCarthy said of Williams’ performance. “I thought Sam was an excellent example of one of our rookie players, our young players playing big today, so I was very proud of Sam. He had some learning experiences early in the year, and I think the last two weeks he’s flashed big-time with his opportunities.”
Williams had one other tackle in the game, when he lifted Detroit running back Justin Jackson off the turf before slamming before slamming him back into it for a 2-yard loss.
Williams joined the Cowboys as a second-round selection from Ole Miss on April 29.
Williams was among the 35 players from Alabama high schools and colleges (excluding Alabama and Auburn) who got on the field on the seventh Sunday of the NFL’s 103rd season.
RELATED: ALABAMA ROUNDUP: JOSH JACOBS ROLLING FOR RAIDERS
RELATED: AUBURN ROUNDUP: NOAH IGBINOGHENE’S FIRST INTERCEPTION SAVES DOLPHINS
Two other former state players were involved in the Detroit-Dallas game:
· Lions guard Logan Stenberg (James Clemens) played but did not record any stats.
· Cowboys wide receiver Jalen Tolbert (McGill-Toolen, South Alabama) caught two passes for 26 yards.
In the other Sunday games:
Baltimore Ravens 23, Cleveland Browns 20
· Browns offensive tackle Chris Hubbard (UAB) was designated as a game-day inactive.
· Ravens outside linebacker Jeremiah Moon (Hoover) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.
· Ravens defensive tackle Michael Pierce (Daphne, Samford) is on injured reserve and not eligible to play.
· Browns wide receiver Chester Rogers (Lee-Huntsville) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.
· Browns defensive end Alex Wright (Elba, UAB) made two tackles, including one behind the line of scrimmage.
Carolina Panthers 21, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 3
· Panthers running back Spencer Brown (Mortimer Jordan, UAB) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.
· Panthers cornerback Tae Hayes (Decatur) played but did not record any stats. Carolina elevated Hayes from its practice squad to make him eligible to play.
· Rakeem Nunez-Roches (Central-Phenix City) started at defensive tackle for the Buccaneers. Nunez-Roches made four tackles, including one behind the line of scrimmage.
· Buccaneers safety Nolan Turner (Vestavia Hills) played but did not record any stats. Tampa Bay elevated Turner from its practice squad to make him eligible to play.
Cincinnati Bengals 35, Atlanta Falcons 17
· Bengals cornerback Allan George (Andalusia) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.
· Bengals kicker Evan McPherson (Fort Payne) made five extra points. For the first time in his 27 regular-season and playoff games, McPherson did not attempt a field goal.
· Cam Taylor-Britt (Park Crossing) made three tackles in his NFL debut.
New York Giants 23, Jacksonville Jaguars 17
· Josh Allen (Abbeville) started at weakside linebacker for the Jaguars. Allen made two tackles and registered a quarterback hit.
· Offensive tackle Korey Cunningham (Montevallo) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.
· Giants cornerback Cordale Flott (Saraland) was designated as a game-day inactive. A calf injury kept Flott off the field for the fourth game in a row.
· Jaguars tight end Gerrit Prince (UAB) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.
· Jaguars defensive end/outside linebacker Jordan Smith (UAB) is on injured reserve and not eligible to play.
· Giants wide receiver Kadarius Toney (Blount) was designated as a game-day inactive. A hamstring injury kept Toney off the field for the fifth game in a row.
· Darious Williams (UAB) started at cornerback for the Jaguars. Williams made eight tackles and broke up three passes. Williams set a career regular-season high for tackles. He had three seven-tackle games for the Los Angeles Rams last season. Williams also had eight tackles in one game for the Rams – the 23-20 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals in Super Bowl LVI on Feb. 13.
· Jaguars center Darryl Williams (Bessemer City) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.
· Nick Williams (Minor, Samford) started at defensive tackle for the Giants. Williams made one tackle and broke up a pass.
Tennessee Titans 19, Indianapolis Colts 10
· Titans linebacker Zach Cunningham (Pinson Valley) was designated as a game-day inactive. An elbow injury kept Cunningham sidelined for a third consecutive game.
· Ben Jones (Bibb County) started at center for the Titans.
· Titans linebacker Monty Rice (James Clemens) made a tackle on special teams.
Washington Commanders 23, Green Bay Packers 21
· Packers wide receiver Kawaan Baker (South Alabama) is on the practice squad and is not eligible to play.
· Bobby McCain (Oxford) started at free safety for the Commanders. McCain made one tackle.
· Commanders running back J.D. McKissic (Central-Phenix City) had a 4-yard run.
· Commanders safety Jeremy Reaves (South Alabama) played but did not record any stats.
New York Jets 16, Denver Broncos 9
· Jets linebacker Kwon Alexander (Oxford) made three tackles.
· Jets defensive end Bryce Huff (St. Paul’s Episcopal) made two tackles and shared a sack.
· Broncos punter Corliss Waitman (South Alabama) averaged 40.0 yards, with no returns, on six punts. Waitman had a 44-yard punt for a fair catch at the New York 13-yard line, a 34-yarder downed at the New York 27, a 39-yarder for a fair catch at the New York 13, a 39-yarder downed at the New York 32, a 46-yarder for a fair catch at the New York 14 and a 38-yarder that went out of bounds at the New York 28.
· Broncos wide receiver Montrell Washington (Samford) had a 2-yard run and a 2-yard punt return.
· Quincy Williams (Wenonah) started at linebacker for the Jets. Williams made five tackles.
Las Vegas Raiders 38, Houston Texans 20
· Raiders running back Ameer Abdullah (Homewood) caught two passes for 7 yards, returned a kickoff 17 yards and made three tackles on special teams.
· Texans defensive end Mario Addison (Tarrant, Troy) made one tackle.
· Nico Collins (Clay-Chalkville) started at wide receiver for the Texans. Collins caught three passes for 33 yards before leaving with a groin injury.
· Raiders defensive tackle Neil Farrell Jr. (Murphy) registered a quarterback hit.
· Tytus Howard (Monroe County, Alabama State) started at right offensive tackle for the Texans.
· Texans cornerback Tremon Smith (Saks) returned four kickoffs for 78 yards and made one tackle on special teams.
Seattle Seahawks 37, Los Angeles Chargers 23
· Chargers tight end Gerald Everett (UAB/South Alabama) caught five passes for 63 yards.
· Mike Jackson (Spain Park) started at left cornerback for the Seahawks. Jackson made five tackles, registered a quarterback hit and broke up a pass.
Kansas City Chiefs 44, San Francisco 49ers 23
· Forty-Niners tight end Jordan Matthews (Madison Academy) is on injured reserve and not eligible to play.
· Chiefs wide receiver Justyn Ross (Central-Phenix City) is on injured reserve and not eligible to play.
· Chiefs defensive tackle Taylor Stallworth (Murphy) played but did not record any stats in his 2022 debut.
· Jimmie Ward (Davidson) started at safety for the 49ers after missing a game with a broken hand. Ward made two tackles.
Miami Dolphins 16, Pittsburgh Steelers 10
· Dolphins outside linebacker Trey Flowers (Columbia) is on injured reserve and not eligible to play.
· Tyreek Hill (West Alabama) started at wide receiver for the Dolphins. Hill caught seven passes for 72 yards.
· Dolphins running back LaMical Perine (Theodore) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.
· Steelers wide receiver George Pickens (Hoover) caught six passes for 61 yards and one touchdown. The rookie caught a 7-yard pass from quarterback Kenny Pickett with 1:50 left in the first half for his first NFL touchdown.
· Steelers linebacker Malik Reed (Dothan) registered a quarterback hit.
· Steelers offensive tackle Trent Scott (Lee-Huntsville) dressed for the game but did not play.
Week 7 started on Thursday night, when the Arizona Cardinals defeated the New Orleans Saints 42-34.
Week 7 concludes on Monday, when the Chicago Bears and New England Patriots square off at 7:15 p.m. CDT at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts. ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN Deportes will televise the game.
FOR MORE OF AL.COM’S COVERAGE OF THE NFL, GO TO OUR NFL PAGE
Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter at @AMarkG1.